- Hasty Bake GrillFest Team Information
Hasty Bake GrillFest Team Information
HB GrillFest Team Information
GrillFest is a People’s Choice competition. This is the best way to expose new folks to the community, and the epic taste, of Hasty Bake. Anything goes in this competition; the list is literally endless. Each team will be asked to provide around 250-300 small bites for their entry. These are typically one-bite finger foods weighing around 1-2oz. You can, of course, serve more if you like. We encourage you to think creatively and competitively. It doesn’t just have to be meat – sides, desserts, veggies – you have lots of options as long as it’s cooked on your Hasty Bake. The family, friends, and public that are judging will likely encounter many of the same dishes. You’ll want to stand out among the crowd so they remember your dish and your team number when it comes time to turn in their judging card.
- Food must be cooked primarily on a Hasty Bake grill
- No other grills are allowed on-site except Hasty Bakes
- Food can be seasoned or par-cooked at home due to the timeline, but it is preferred that you do most of your cooking the day of, at the competition – it adds to the fun.
- Food safe practices must be followed.
- Each team is assigned a 10x10 cook site and all of their equipment, table, chairs, etc. must be contained within that space
- Teams are encouraged to invite friends and family to attend and create a backyard BBQ atmosphere; however, no trailers, RV's, or loud amplified music are permitted (Bluetooth speakers are permitted, but live bands will be playing all day)
People’s Choice Judging
People’s Choice tasting kits include a commemorative frisbee, plate, flatware, poker chip, judging card and pencil. Participants will be encouraged to taste as many team foods as possible and make notes on the card if a dish was exceptional (along with the number of the team who made the dish). At the conclusion of the tasting, the participants will review their notes and decide whom they believe the winner should be. They will bring their poker chip to a central voting location and drop it in the bucket with the team number on it. This evens the playing field so that participants aren’t pressured to vote at the team’s booth. It also encourages them to try as many dishes as possible before voting, rather than voting early and discovering an exceptional dish near the end of the voting period. Upon turning in their poker chip, participants will receive a raffle ticket for an HB250 Portable Grill (value $599) that will be given away at the awards ceremony.
6am: Teams Arrive (shuttle service begins)
6:30-7am: Team Check-in
7:30am: All vehicles out of cook site
8am: Cook’s Meeting
11:30am: Event Open to the Public
11:30am: Tasting Kit Pick-up Begins
12-2pm: People’s Choice competition
2-3pm: Finalize People’s Choice Judging
3:30pm: Award Ceremony
4pm: Load-out Begins (shuttle service ends)
What is Provided
- 10x10 pop up tent at your cook site
- Table and 2 chairs
- 2 event T-shirts
- Commemorative Hasty Bake beer brewed by Marshall Brewing
- 1 bag of charcoal
- 2 tasting kits for People’s Choice competition (additional tasting kits can be pre-purchased on May 2nd on the GrillFest event webpage)
- 1st place winner: commemorative Hasty Bake 259 Pro (value $2999)
- 2nd place winner: commemorative Hasty Bake Legacy 132 (value $2299)
- 3rd place winner: commemorative Hasty Bake Ranger 380 (value $899)
- 4th place winner: $150 gift card to Tulsa Grill Store
- 5th place winner: $100 gift card to Tulsa Grill Store
- Best Decorated cook site winner: $100 to Tulsa Grill Store
Load-In and Parking
Load-in begins at 6am. The parking lot will be closed to vehicle traffic after 7:30am. Offsite parking is mandatory – contestants who fail to follow parking rules are subject to be disqualified. Security will be located at the entrance of the drop-off parking lot to assist you with maps, etc. After the awards ceremony (3:30-4pm), the site will be open to vehicles to load campsites and equipment. Staff will be onsite to help unload grills and coolers in the morning and load-up in the afternoon.
Off-site Parking Location
Off-site parking is mandatory. A shuttle bus will be running from 6:30am-4:30pm to carry people back and forth from the event site to the off-site parking lot.
Bathrooms and handwashing sinks will be available on site.
Trash cans will be provided and each team is responsible for picking up trash and keeping their area clean and free of debris.
At the conclusion of the event, a hot ashcan will be available to empty the remaining ash or coals.
Dishes must be washed at your own campsite, please bring dishwashing supplies if needed. No dishwashing is permitted in the Tulsa Grill Store restrooms.