- Hasty Bake GrillFest Team Information
Hasty Bake GrillFest Team Information
Date and Location:
Entry Fee: $50
GrillFest is a People’s Choice competition. This is the best way to expose new folks to the community, and the epic taste, of Hasty Bake. Anything goes in this competition; the list is literally endless. Each team will be asked to provide around 350 small bites for their entry. These are typically one-bite finger foods weighing around 1-2oz. You can, of course, serve more if you like. We encourage you to think creatively and competitively. It doesn’t just have to be meat – sides, desserts, veggies – you have lots of options as long as it’s cooked on your Hasty Bake. The family, friends, and public that are judging will likely encounter many of the same dishes. You’ll want to stand out among the crowd so they remember your dish and your team number when it comes time to turn in their judging card.
- Food must be cooked primarily on a Hasty Bake grill.
- No other grills are allowed on-site except Hasty Bakes
- Food can be seasoned or par-cooked at home due to the timeline, but it is preferred that you do most of your cooking the day of, at the competition – it adds to the fun.
- Food safe practices must be followed.
- Each team is assigned a 10x20 cook site and all of their equipment, table, chairs, etc. must be contained within that space. All grills must remain on the asphalt at all times.
- NEW FOR 2023: All teams will need to provide their own tents, tables, and chairs. Entry fees have been slashed in half to compensate for HB not providing those items this year.
- Teams are encouraged to invite friends and family to attend and create a backyard BBQ atmosphere; however, no RV's (see trailer note below), or loud amplified music are permitted (Bluetooth speakers are permitted, but live bands will be playing all day)
- Trailers are permitted for unload only and cannot be parked at your cooksite. We will recommend a trailer-friendly parking lot to you when you arrive.
- This is a family-friendly event. All team names and themes will be reviewed prior to the event and are subject to approval. No names/themes that are political or generally controversial in nature will be permitted.
- All outside alcohol must remain in your team area at all times and may not be offered to the general public.
People’s Choice Judging
People’s Choice tasting kits include a commemorative frisbee, plate, flatware, and a voting poker chip. Participants will be encouraged to taste as many team foods as possible and then decide whom they believer should be the winner. They will bring their poker chip to a central voting location and drop it in the bucket with the team number on it. This evens the playing field so that participants aren’t pressured to vote at the team’s booth. It also encourages them to try as many dishes as possible before voting, rather than voting early and discovering an exceptional dish near the end of the voting period. Upon turning in their poker chip, participants will receive a raffle ticket for an HB250 Portable Grill (value $599) that will be given away at the awards ceremony.
6am: Team Load-in Begins
7:30am: All teams must be onsite. All vehicles out of cook site.
8am: Mandatory Cook’s Meeting (at the stage)
11:30am: Competition Opens. Tasting kits go on sale.
1:30pm: Competition Closes.
2:00pm: Finalize People’s Choice Judging
2:30pm: Award Ceremony
3:00pm: Load-out Begins. (Music and vendors continues)
4:30pm: Event closes.
What is Provided
- 2 event T-shirts
- Commemorative Hasty Bake beer brewed by Marshall Brewing
- 1 bag of charcoal
- 2 tasting kits for People’s Choice competition (additional tasting kits can be purchased onsite.
- 1st place winner: commemorative Hasty Bake 259 Pro (value $2999)
- 2nd place winner: commemorative Hasty Bake Legacy 132 (value $2299)
- 3rd place winner: commemorative Hasty Bake Roughneck Smoker (value $899)
- 4th place winner: $150 gift card to Tulsa Grill Store
- 5th place winner: $100 gift card to Tulsa Grill Store
Load-In and Parking
Load-in begins at 6am. The Tucker Drive loop will be closed to vehicle traffic after 7:30am. Offsite parking is mandatory – contestants who fail to follow parking rules are subject to be disqualified. Security will be located at the entrance of the drop-off parking lot to assist you with parking lot maps, etc. Site will be open to vehicles to load out cook sites and equipment at 3pm.
Bathrooms and hand-washing sinks will be available on site.
Trash cans will be provided and each team is responsible for picking up trash and keeping their area clean and free of debris.
At the conclusion of the event, a hot ashcan will be available to empty the remaining ash or coals.
Dishes must be washed at your own campsite, please bring dishwashing supplies if needed. No dishwashing is permitted in the restrooms.
Per Fire Marshal requirements, all teams MUST bring a fire extinguisher for their cook site.